As an awarding body, the Royal Academy of Dance Examinations Board offers an internationally recognized portfolio of exams and assessments. These are designed to motivate and encourage students of all ages and levels of ability, through a systematic measurement of progress and attainment. Students can only be entered for exams by a qualified Royal Academy of Dance Registered Teacher.
Our exams provide students with:
- an achievable goal to work towards
- recognition from the world’s largest ballet examination board
- the impetus to achieve their personal best in a fun and nurturing environment
- incorporate Ballet, Free Movement, and Character
- Grade 1 – Grade 8 syllabi
- are suitable for candidates from the age of 5
Vocational Graded Exams
- build on the elements covered in the Graded syllabus
- are intended for students who wish to pursue a career in dance
- are suitable for candidates from the age of 11 years
- include the prestigious Solo Seal Award – the highest Vocational Graded examination offered by the RAD, which focuses on solo performance
A real measure of achievement
These higher levels of achievement prepare dancers to perform well academically. They are highly valued by universities offering degree courses and programs in the performing arts.
All exams and awards are assessed externally by one of 200 examiners, appointed, trained, and monitored by the RAD, and based in 25 countries around the world.